Finally, some sunshine today here in Bristol and suddenly Spring doesn’t seem like an eternity away… I’ve been out and about scanning the new collections and have put together some key pieces I think any woman can pull off. You may need to adjust the colours and styles to suit, but if you’re looking to invest in some key pieces you won’t go far wrong hanging these separates in your capsule wardrobe…
1. The cropped sweater – great for layering over a shirt or longer length base layer. I love layering and this is a great way to do it. Always pair with some slim fitting trousers or jeans and wear with a heel to create height. Fab for anyone with a long body and apple shapes in particular.
2. Printed Trousers – Sometimes you have to take risks and try something you’ve never worn before! You can pull this bold look off with the right accessories; some elegant heels (if you’re pear shaped or short legged), and a fab statement necklace. I love the floaty shape of these Dorothy Perkins jogger style trousers, easy to wear with flats and a simple top or dressed up with heels and a silk shirt or a sharp little jacket!
3. Classic white shirt – Layer this beneath your warmer jumpers to lighten up your look for spring. Also great worn alone with a statement necklace to jazz it up! Try wearing the collar buttoned up with the necklace layered over the top, or simply wear undone and have the necklace peeping out from beneath! If your’e pear shaped or a column, go for a really fitted shape while apples look best in boyfriend styles…
4. Coccoon Coat – I love these coats as an alternative to a trench for spring. There’s something comforting about them as well as uber stylish! They look fab when worn open, showing off your outfit below and with fitted trousers and jeans.
5. Brogues – Admittedly this shoe can look quite mannish, but if you check out the gorgeous new spring versions in nude pink, soft grey and even cream, you may well be persuaded! I love them styled with cropped trousers and boyfriend jeans. And if you don’t like wearing a heel, these could well be your new best friends.
6. The Breton base layer – I don’t know where I would be without my Boden breton. I love it with everything and have now got my eyes on this Jaegar one with cute shoulder buttons (the boden one is quite old and tired now). Wear it layered under something like a cardigan or jacket or on it’s own with a statement necklace or scarf. Easy Stylish chic and very Spring indeed!
7. Mid blue jeans – Jeans can go a bit brighter in the spring, again to lighten the mood of your key wardrobe pieces. Skinny or straight, if you usually opt for a dark denim you may be surprised how different clothes look with a lighter blue.
8. The statement necklace – I go on about statement necklaces a lot. I like this one from Oasis despite the fact that it’s black. The floral design is fun and easy to incorporate into your outfits. But if you need a flash of colour in your wardrobe opt for a colourful version. A friend of mine was wearing this one the other day and it’s really quite a stunner (Stella&dot).